Fishing is all about relaxing and enjoying the hobby. No one would deny that surf fishing is a fantastic experience, with the sand in between your toes, lovely sea breeze, and seagulls flying in the distance.
Surf fishing also allows you to introduce your kids to the amazing world of angling. Whether you are a pro or a novice, surf fishing would always be a fulfilling experience. Undoubtedly this activity has become very popular in recent times.
If you want to upgrade your experience to the next level, we suggest that you equip yourself with the best surf fishing rod and reel combo. It is a common misconception that the best combos would burn your pockets. All you need to do is a bit of homework and research, but fortunately, we have done it for you.
In this article, we will cover the reviews of the top 8 best surf fishing combos. All the combos are excellent in quality and performance, and would not cost you a fortune. In the end, we have also included a buying guide to assist you in making the right decision.
Get to the top of your game, and bring home delicious big fishes for dinner. Start by choosing the best rod and reel combo available on the market.
Top 3 Surf Fishing Rod and Reel Combos Comparison
|Features||PENN Battle II Spinning Rod and Reel Combo||Penn Spinfisher Fishing Rod and Spinning Reel Combo||Okuma Tundra Surf Spinning Combo|
|Construction Material||Graphite Rod with full metal body||Full metal body construction||Fiberglass construction|
|Bearing System||5+1 stainless steel||5+1 stainless steel||1 ball bearing reel|
|Dimensions||60 x 8 x 5 inches||66 x 3 x 3 inches||60 x 4 x 5 inches|
Top 8 Best Surf Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
1. PENN Battle II Spinning Rod and Reel Combo
If you are searching for a product that will last for years, then this is the perfect choice for you. PENN is a leading name in this industry, and most anglers put their faith in this brand. The Battle II combo is robust and sturdy enough to fight the big saltwater fishes.
With a carbon-fiber body, ergonomic design, exceptional sensitivity, and super drag system, this rod and reel combo will help you win all the battles. The rotor is housed inside a metal body with an aluminum spool. Five ball bearings reduce friction and ensure that you experience a smooth operation. Additionally, you would be amazed by the HT 100 advanced drag system that can pull the big ones without snapping your line.
This combo features an amazing reach of up to 200 yards. You can easily catch all the fishes you want standing right from the shore. Along with the graphite blanks and metal guides, this rod and reel combo is a perfect choice for anglers looking for a durable, sturdy, and versatile combo at an affordable price.
- The body and side plates are completely built out of metal and have perfect gear alignment
- Comes with an anodized mechanized spool, allowing you to knot the braid lines on to the spool without having to worry about backing
- Features HT-100 drag systems to give you comfortable drag under all conditions
- 5+1 stainless steel, ball-bearing system with a gear ratio of 5.6: 1, and a maximum drag capacity of 25lbs
- The length of the rod is 9 feet with a medium-fast action. It measures 60 x 8 x 5 inches in dimensions and weighs 2.8lbs.
- Boasts of 6 aluminum guides and graphite rod blank
- Extremely high sensitivity
- Well suited for both salt and freshwater fishing
- Easy to use and heavy-duty drag function
- Comfortable EVA grip and handle
- Not well suited for lure casting
- Has stiffness issues
2. Penn Spinfisher Fishing Rod and Spinning Reel Combo
The fact that we have two Penn products in our top three models speaks volumes about the quality and performance of their products. The new Penn Spinfisher Combo features heavy-duty modern constriction and excellent performance. This product is set to surpass all your expectations.
Featuring the award-winning Spinfisher V reel and rod, waterproof design, and excellent drag system, this combo is a complete package in itself. Thousands of anglers have put their trust in this brand, and it is time that you place your faith on the Penn Spinfisher Fishing Rod and Spinning Reel Combo.
This product is best suited for saltwater applications. Hence, it comes with a corrosion-resistant metal body, rotor, and side plates. Alongside it also has watertight compartments to safeguard the rod from rust and damage. The rings for line capacity, super HT-100 slammer drag system, and aluminum spool make it even more amazing.
Graphite gives the rod its strength and robustness, while stainless steel material, ergonomic design, and EVA handle ensure comfort and ease for day-long fishing.
- Since the reel is watertight, you can expect excellent performance in saltwater and sandy conditions
- The full metal construction (rotor, side plates, and body) renders durability, strength, and heavy-duty performance
- HT-100 Super slammer drag mechanism ensures smooth drag and the friction absorber prevents any kind of bail trip
- Comes with a 5+1 ball bearing system and a gear ratio of 6.2:1
- Extremely sensitive rod allowing you to detect even the slightest underwater movements
- The rod and reel combo measures 66 x 3 x 3 inches in dimensions and weighs 2.4lbs
- Graphite makes it durable and gives fantastic sensitivity
- Amazing drag capacity (up to 20lbs)
- Watertight design
- Well balanced system
- Slightly heavier than its counterparts
- Difficulty in portability
3. Okuma Tundra Surf Spinning Combo
The next product on the list is brought to you by Okuma, the Taiwanese brand. Okuma Tundra Surf Spinning Combo is an excellent choice for surf fishing. Be it for the drag system, or the heavy-duty performance, this spinning combo is surely a contender for the best surf fishing rod and reel combo.
Fiberglass blanks allow the rod to withstand high pressure without snapping when it comes to fighting the gigantic 25lbs fishes. You would never lose grip or feel tired of fishing with the new EVA handles and grips. Graphite spool ensures that it is free from rust or corrosion. Check out its length, 10ft with 260 yards of line capacity, you can catch any fish that you want, right from the shore.
If you love trolling, then you would fall in love with its multiple disc drag systems. Along with this, the aluminum guides and ceramic inserts give you a great experience when you go out for reeling. Overall, it is a great choice for surf fishing at an affordable price. It has outperformed many other products in this category.
- Durable fiberglass rod blank and corrosion-resistant graphite spool
- Comes with a superior quality multiple disc oiled drag features that give you reliable performance under all conditions
- Ceramic inserts and double footed aluminum oxide guides
- The reel seats are hooded and use stainless steel to protect itself from the saltwater environment
- Easy to assemble and comfortable to use with the EVA grips and handles
- The combo measures 60 x 4 x 5 inches in dimensions, with a max drag of 25lbs, and weighs 15.7 ounces
- Lightweight and resistant to corrosion
- Huge line capacity
- Well suited for catching the big species
- Comfortable grips and handles
- Strong, durable, and highly sensitive
- Poor reel quality as compared to the rod
- The drag system is less powerful as compared to the above two models
4. Daiwa D-Wave Saltwater Spinning Combo
It does not matter whether you are taking for a freshwater or saltwater expedition; it performs its best under all conditions. This versatile, corrosion-resistant spinning combo is well suited to tackle the big, aggressive fishes along the shore.
The Daiwa D-Wave Saltwater Spinning Combo has a graphite construction making it strong, durable, and super sensitive. Featuring 11ft length, this combo is a perfect choice for long-distance casting. It comes with an aluminum oxide guide and stainless-steel reel seats to ensure maximum performance and high longevity.
Both the rod and reel come from high-quality carbon graphite to protect it from the saltwater rust and corrosion. The shielded steel ball drive system helps in smooth casting and withdrawal operations. Along with the Gyro spin roto, type II roller, and an advanced ballistic spool, this spinning combo offers you an amazing list of features at an affordable price.
Daiwa always uses the patented in-house Digigear technology in its products, which ensures accurate and long-lasting performance. It would be an ideal choice for novice anglers who are new to surf fishing.
- Comes with graphite construction and frictionless ball bearing drives
- Rotor features Gyro spin balance mechanism
- Aluminum spool with ABS (Advanced Ballistic System) facility and Twist Buster II roller line
- Fiberglass rod, in a 2-piece construction with comfortable EVA grips
- Digigear technology to ensure durable performance
- 4+1 ball bearing system with an anti-reverse facility
- Perfect choice for saltwater fishing
- Well suited for long casting distances
- Super smooth and high sensitivity
- Lightweight rod and reel combo
- The reel is of poor quality
- Not well suited for catching smaller fishes
5. KastKing Sharky III Spinning Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
KastKing products always ensure value for money and exceptional performance. The new KastKing Sharky III is for professional anglers who are looking for high performance and accurate casting.
Carbon graphite black goes into the construction of the rod, making it both lightweight and robust. Undoubtedly you can use this product for the season after seasons before any signs of wear and tear shows up. This series comes with a lot of varieties; the 6’6’’ ones are well suited for the bass and trout while you can go for the 9’ ones for salmon and steelheads.
The combo is incomplete without the best reels, smooth gears (5.2:1 gear ratio), and 10+1 ball bearing systems with graphite rotors and side frames. Anti-slip EVA grips on the handles ensure that the rod does not slip out even under wet conditions.
Did you check the max drag capacity? It is capable of dragging up to 39.5lbs smoothly and comfortably without snapping. The multiple disc carbon drag system is responsible for this tremendous and powerful drag. Finally, it comes with the KastKing shield system to protect itself from rust, water, and shocks.
- Comes with IM7 high-quality graphite blanks on all the models
- The Fuji guides and line rings are compatible with both monofilament and braided lines
- Ergonomic and sleek design with the EVA grip to eliminate fatigue and provide day-long comfort
- Reel sizes vary from 200 to 5000 depending on the length of the rod
- Has moderate to fast action and medium to heavy power
- Inbuilt unique waterproof design to keep dirt and rust away
- Exceptionally powerful drag capacity (39.5lbs)
- The combo is lightweight and delivers long-lasting performance
- Very smooth and comfortable to use
- Highly sensitive
- Well suited for both beginners and professionals
- Rod tips might break after multiple usages
- Loops can break out
6. PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
If you want to bring some fun to your surf fishing adventures, then check out the new PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos. The carbon fiber construction makes the rod and pole tough, sturdy, and protects from breakage. To increase the comfort level, you got power gear drives and an anti-reverse switch. With this combo in hand, you are sure to win all your saltwater battles.
The reel seat comes from stainless steel and has a hood covering it, protecting it from corrosion and rust. You can enjoy the ultimate comfort and balance with the EVA grip and high tensile plastic body. Along with these, the coiled spring, large aluminum oxide spool, and interchangeable handle make this a perfect choice for all anglers.
For those looking for the best option to catch small and med sized fishes, this seems to be your companion. This rod is extremely tough, highly sensitive, and gives you exceptional power. It is well suited for different fishes, different environment, and is always ready to give you accurate casting.
- The fishing pole uses high-quality carbon fibers with fiberglass to give perfect elasticity and toughness
- Reel Seat is enclosed and hooded for better protection, while the EVA grips guarantee a fatigue free experience
- Highly portable, easy to carry, and low on maintenance
- Comes with an anti-reverse feature and power gears for strength performance
- Features a gear ratio of 5.2:1, with a line capacity of mm/M 0.20/240 0.25/200 0.30/140
- Well suited for both sea and boat fishing
- Easy storage and foldable model
- Lightweight, strong, and durable combo
- Comes with a sleeve and box to store the rod
- Great value for money
- Stiffness is an issue
- The line is of poor quality
7. Ugly Stik Saltwater Spinning Combo
Another fantastic combo that can amaze you with its features is the Ugly Stik Saltwater Spinning Combo. So, what’s special about this rod and reel combo? This 2-piece and 7ft rod can become your best friend for saltwater fishing. It is ready to withstand all the harsh and rough saltwater corrosions.
The rod uses fiberglass and carbon fiber for the construction giving it exceptional durability and making it light. If you look carefully, you will notice the ergonomic design, sleek look, and the matte finish, which would surely attract attention.
Like any other combo, sensitivity, toughness, and durability is never an issue with this product. It features comfortable EVA anti-slip grip and handles for fatigue free fishing. If you are looking for catching the mid-range fishes, then this rod combo is a fantastic choice.
What sets it apart is the Stik tip, which increases the sensitivity at the tip of the rod. This allows you to detect even the smallest of movements. What does that mean? No fish, however clever or stealthy it might be, can escape under your watch.
- It is a 2-piece rod which a medium to heavy power actions
- Comes with comfortable grips, ceramic inserts and stainless-steel shielded guides
- Especially assorted tackles
- Spinning Reel size 50 comes with a 14lbs aluminum line
- The product measures 36.5 x 7 x 3 inches in dimension and weighs 2.2lbs
- Comes with a 7-year manufacturer’s warranty on the rod
- Lightweight and highly sensitive
- Wide variety of models available
- Pocket-friendly price
- Well suited for both novice and professional anglers
- Reel quality is disappointing
- Rod bends easily underweight
8. KastKing Centron Spinning Reel – Fishing Rod Combos
If you are searching for the best combination of lightweight, durability, and high performance, then look no further. The KastKing Centron Fishing Combo is one of the best products out there. It would be apt that we end our reviews with an exceptional product and what better than the KastKing Centron Combo.
It comes in a variety of models (6ft to 8ft) with a smooth gear system and convenient EVA handles. This gives you maximum grip under wet conditions or to withstand the high pressure. The Centron spinning reel is a perfect match with this rod and is always ready to deliver heavy-duty performance. You have got the O rings suited for both monofilament and braided lines.
Do not worry about the fishes; no matter what, this boy is ready for all the actions. Be it catfish, bass, or crappie, and the KastKing Combo can handle anything with exceptional smoothness. Overall, this is a fantastic choice for surf fishing, and you must place your faith in the brand, which is a household name in the world of fishing.
- The 2-piece rod uses IM6 Graphite Rod Blanks for its construction ensuring smoothness, sensitivity, and performance
- Comes with O rings rendering perfect balance and ensures compatibility with both monofilament and braided lines
- Choose from a wide variety of models. The 6ft ones are for bass and trout while the 8ft ones are for catfish and salmon
- These rods have exceptional finish and feature the anti-slip EVA grips for better comfort, control, and convenience
- Reel size can start from 2000 and go all the way till 5000 depending on the length of the rod. The Centron spinning reel is highly compatible with the rods
- Features a gear ratio of 4.5:1 or 5.2:1, multiple disc drag system, aluminum spool, and 9+1 ball bearing systems
- Well suited for all types of freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Value for money coming at an affordable price
- Lightweight and durable graphite frame
- Aluminum Mechanized Spool
- Reel quality is poor
- The rod tip might break for a large-sized fish
Best Surf Fishing Rod and Reel Combos – Buying Guide
Before you go out and choose the best surf fishing combo for yourself, you need some more information. Our buying guide will help you understand the nuances of surf fishing and guide you on the factors that determine the quality of your experience. You would not buy fishing rods and reels each day, and hence you must make a well-informed decision.
As the name suggests, surf fishing is engaging in fishing activities from the shoreline. It is pretty similar to any other type of fishing, but it needs high accuracy and control.
There is a common notion that you get only limited options when you go for surf fishing since you are fishing off the shore. With the right gear and equipment, you can always catch the big ones as well.
You might consider your lures, lines, baits, and nets to be crucial, but nothing can be more essential than your fishing rod and reel. They would finally determine the quality of your fishing trip.
Surf Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
A combo is a collection of the fishing rod and reel, which are compatible with each other. Traditionally, you had to purchase the rod and reel separately. There might be compatibility or fixing issues, but with these latest combos, you need not worry about it. The reels and rods fit into each other and work effectively with complete accuracy.
Things to consider before purchasing a surf fishing rod and reel combo
Since you are fishing from the shore, you would ideally need a longer rod for long casting. Typically, we suggest you go for the 7ft to 9ft rods. These would provide you with enough casting distance. If you are new to this game, then do not try the very long ones, it might get too complicated and heavy for you. In case you want the shorter 6ft ones, then just ensure that the reel is at the end so that you get an extended cast.
Your material must be durable, flexible, and lightweight. There is no compromise on this. You are not going to invest in a rod and reel combo every day. Choose the ones made of graphite or fiberglass. These materials are extremely durable, tough, and lightweight.
You would want a rod that is light and sturdy so that you can control and maneuver the rod with ease. Lightweight rods are not only easy to manage but also give you high sensitivity. You can maintain perfect balance and control with these rods. Typically, if you are choosing graphite or fiberglass, you are making the right choice. Heavier rods are both difficult to control, as well as would easily introduce fatigue.
What’s the reel seat? The place where the real is attached to the rod. If you go for a poor-quality reel seat, then the reel would come out even before you head out. Make sure that the reel seat matches the reel size and keeps it secured and locked.
The more power you have, the more pressure your rod can withstand. It is the measure of the pressure that the rod can take before it bends and snaps. Heavy power rods are needed for the red bull or tarpons, while medium power ones are sufficient for the trout and flounder.
You need a good quality grip to ensure comfort and convenience. Always go for the ones with EVA anti-slip grips. These ensure that you have a perfect hold on the rod even when your palms are wet. At the same time, they try to eliminate fatigue as much as possible.
Ball bearings ensure smooth, frictionless performance. Ideally, go for at least 4 – 6 ball bearing system in the combo for a smooth casting and withdrawing operation.
Check the maximum drag capacity of the combo. If you choose ones with low capacity, then they will easily break. But remember that higher drag capacity means the additional weight on your combo.
We understand that choosing the right combo is an overwhelming task. But we have done the homework and research for you. You have to follow it to take a well-informed decision. Surf Fishing is always full of fun and excitement, and if you have the right surf fishing rod and reel combo, then nothing can stop you from having the most rewarding experience of your life.