Whether you are a seasoned fisherman or a novice angler, you deserve the best experience every time you go out to fish. Now, shark fishing can be a big challenge since you have to fight with the harsh and fierce fish species. But there is nothing to worry about, we have done the research and will give you all the information that you will need in selecting the best rod for shark fishing.
The two most critical factor that influences your choice of fishing rods is your fishing location and the size of the shark you intend to catch. Your choice should depend on whether you are fishing from a boat or a pier on a beach. At the same time, the size of the sharks would also impact the choice. In general, the rods must be long and strong enough to handle the extra pressure and counter the sharks. Besides, you must ensure that the reels, tackles, and gears are of the best quality to improve the quality of your shark fishing experience.
Types of Shark Fishing Rods
As discussed previously, the nature of the rod depends on your location
Spinning Rods for Sharks
These rods are best suited for shark fishing from the beach. The massive rod will give you the extra drag needed to counter the fish. Typically, these rods measure between 7ft to 10ft in length and have a superior quality backbone with powerful sets of hooks. You can efficiently operate and fish with these rods, thereby best suited for the anglers who are new to this game.
Conventional Rods for Sharks
If you are planning to fish from a pier, then you need more balance, and that’s where conventional rods come to your rescue. These would give you more leverage than any traditional spinning rods as the spinning reel is present on top of the rod, running parallel to it. The length is similar to the spinning rod, but they provide more power and quick actions.
Fly Rods for Sharks
Nearshore sharks like the spinner, bonnethead, or blacktip demand for more precision and control in the fishing rod. Fly fishing is the solution; it is trendy nowadays and would be the best-suited option for nearshore fishing.
Whichever option you choose, remember that the weight capacity of your gear should be 50lbs or more. The rod length must be 7ft minimum with a stable backbone to muscle the sharks easily from the boat or the beach or pier.
Now that you have got an overall idea about the rods for shark fishing, it is time that you go through the reviews on the top 8 best rods. We have also included a comparison of the top three products and a buying guide so that you can always make an informed decision.
Top 3 Best Shark Fishing Rods – Comparison
|Best Overall||Editor’s Choice||Best Value|
|Features||PENN Carnage II Surf Spinning Rod||Tsunami Airwave 11′ Heavy Surf Rod||Daiwa Beefstick Surf Rod|
|Construction Material||SLS3 blank construction||High density fiber blank||Carbon tubular fiberglass|
|Sensitivity||Very high sensitivity||Very high sensitivity||Low as compared to the other two|
|Guides||Fuji K guides and Alconite inserts||Fuji Alconite guides||Stainless steel guides|
|Compatible Lines||Braided & Monofilament||Braided||Braided|
Top 8 Best Rods for Shark Fishing
1.PENN Carnage II Surf Spinning Rod
Since 1932, Penn has come up with high-quality products that guarantee performance. The PENN Carnage II series is offering you a great variety of lightweight, powerful fishing rods. Right from the build material till the ergonomic design and convenient grip, this rod is going to amaze you.
These rods are rated for 20 to 50lbs capacity and throws weights around 5 to 6 ounces. It is compatible with both monofilament as well as braided fishing lines. Check the sensitivity of this rod, and it can detect even the slightest of touch. You are sure to get high conversion rates.
The PENN Carnage is a perfect choice for surf fishing from the shores when you are looking for long-range heavy casting. You get the best combination of power, precision, design, and performance. No doubt, this is a real value for money product.
- SLS3 rod material construction
- The rod is extremely sensitive, and you can use it to cast accurately
- You get the Fuji K guides coupled with alconite inserts
- The grip is comfortable and will not slip from your sweaty palms
- Specially designed for the braided line
- 10inch to 12inch in length
- A lot of variety in sizes to choose from
- Heavy-duty but a lightweight fishing rod
- Excellent finesse on the 2-piece design
- Best choice for fishing from shore
- High-quality Fuji reel seat
- Not well-suited for the monofilament category
- Difficult to hook onto the larger sharks with this rod
2. Tsunami Airwave 11′ Heavy Surf Rod
If you are looking for a well-balanced surf fishing rod, then this can be your choice. We picked this rod for its high performance, lightweight, and mighty shark fishing abilities. You can now fish all day long with having sore fingers. Weight is the primary concern for all anglers, and be it the high-density fibers or the alconite guides; the Tsunami Airwave is as light as air.
You can cast long distances and haul back big fishes with perfect ease and comfort. The alconite finish ensures that the rod is safeguarded against the abrasions from the braided line. Most ordinary fishing lines would give up against the abrasions.
Even the smallest bites can be detected by this surf rod. The rod also gives you adequate grips using vinyl material for grips. So, the only way you can tire yourself with this rod is to secure an enormous bounty.
- High sensitivity and great resilience
- The capacity of 20 – 40lbs and is ready to throw weights up to 5 ounce
- Long-distance casting
- Fuji Alconite guide for a smooth finish on the line
- Comes with a high-density blank fiber
- Graphite (Fuji) reel seat
- Vinyl textured and EVA grips for better comfort
- 2-piece in design and 11ft in length
- Perfect design and lots of features
- Durable, sturdy, and extremely sensitive
- Very well constructed from high-density fibers
- The grip is not the best
- Might break at the extreme end (40lbs)
3. Daiwa Beefstick Surf Rod
If you are looking for an ultra-light and versatile fishing rod, then the new Daiwa Beefstick will meet your expectations. This rod comes from heavy-duty performance and the ultimate fishing experience. The steel black color is sure to amaze you at the first look, and the fiberglass body gives enough strength and durability that this rod will last for years.
Daiwa Beefstick Surf rod comes with stainless steel hoods and guides making it resistant to saltwater corrosion. Most other rods would give up and break after a few usages, but you can use this one season after seasons. This fantastic fishing rod weighs only 2 pounds, ultra-light, isn’t it?
You can use this road for both casting and spinning. Finally, it is pocket-friendly and would be the best choice for any angler out there.
- The fishing rod is a 2-piece stick manufactured from tubular fiberglass
- Comes with cut-resistant ceramic guides, EVA non-slip grips, and cork handle
- Super-strong, carbon fiber blanks
- Ergonomic design and classic jet-black look
- The guides are corrosion resistant as they use stainless steel materials
- Suited for both casting and spinning
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Inexpensive and best value for money
- Well-suited for the braided line
- Lines can get serrated after cast
- Inserts are not of the best qualities
4. Okuma’s Solaris Surf Fishing Rods-SS-C-1102H-2
When it comes to a name that you can trust, Okuma always stands out. You can put your faith in them just like all other anglers, and their products will never disappoint you.
This Okuma Solaris is a very convenient rod for every angler. A full graphite construction will give you the perfect balance of lightweight, responsiveness, and durability. Along with this, the non-slip handles, Fuji guides, and cork-covered fore give it the strength to handle high pressure and tough conditions.
You might find cheaper alternatives to this one, but nothing can beat its performance and quality. When it comes to sensitivity, you can rely on this buddy for the slightest movements. Whenever any fish nimble at the top of the rod, you would know it immediately.
- Blank uses IM-6 full graphite
- Comes with Fuji guides coupled with Aluminum oxide inserts
- The guide frames come from stainless steel
- Stainless steel Fuji reel seats
- Anti-slip, cushioned EVA grips
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- High-end build and exceptional performance
- Very high sensitivity
- Graphite blanks constructions
- Highly convenient for all anglers
- Can pull up to 50lbs fish without any problem
- Not highly durable
- It is slightly heavier compared to similar models
5. St Croix Mojo Surf Saltwater Casting Rod
Looking for something for the smaller sharks? Check this one out. It is best suited for small sharks and other light inshore or surf activities. You can use this rod for both fresh and saltwater fishing.
Not every shark is gigantic and is going to give you a tough challenge. Many smaller ones are roaming around the shores or near the pier. In that case, it is better that you buy a multipurpose rod that can help you in other inshore fishing activities as well. That’s where the St Croix Mojo Surfcasting rod comes to your advantage.
They are manufactured from graphite fiber and has excellent sensitivity right up to the tip of the rod. You can pull back up to 10 20lbs, and it can throw weights in the range of 1 – 4 ounce. You can categorize the rod under moderate or fast tip action, but the strong backbone will ensure that you have enough power to pull your catch comfortably.
- Built out of SC2 premium quality graphite
- Guides come along with unique zirconium rings
- Fuji reel seats along with black colored hoods
- A versatile rod that can accompany you for all surf fishing activities
- The specialized X-wrap handle is for comfort, durability, and style
- Very light in weight and gives high performance
- Comes with a protective case
- Suitable for all inline surf fishing
- 5-year warranty period
- Ideal for all variety of waters and colors
- A bit heavy as compared to the other surf action fishing rods
6. Okuma Tundra Surf Glass Spinning Rods
Are you in search of something that will help you with all kinds of fishes? The Okuma Tundra will surely match your expectations. Most anglers do not go shark fishing all year long. It would be a waste if you had to purchase different rods for different types of fishes out there.
The white color will allow you to sense bites even under low light conditions, and the line weight is around 10-30, while the lure weight is between 2-8. For the construction part, this spinning rod is made from high-quality fiberglass rod blank and double-ended guides to ensure durability and power.
The stainless-steel construction gives you the freedom to use it for both light and heavy fishing activities. At the same time, the rubber butt makes it very convenient to grip the rod for long periods. Though the rod is resistant to corrosion, we advise that you rinse it in freshwater after every use.
- Long-lasting fiberglass blank construction
- The double-footed guides give power and sturdiness
- Ceramic inserts for the guides ensuring durability
- The tip is five plus reinforced with down folded stripper guide
- EVA rubber grips to ensure that the rod does not slip out from your hands
- The real seats come from stainless steel, thereby corrosion resistant
- Good sensitivity under low-light conditions
- Fiberglass construction making it durable, strong, and powerful
- Suitable for long-distance casting
- 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- No, wear or tear even after casting it for hundred times
- The guide design is not user-friendly
- In case of replacement, the user has to pay for the shipment of the new product
7. SHIMANO Tallus Blue Water Series
If you are looking for an alternative to a heavy-duty conventional rod, then the Shimano Tallus Blue Water Series should be a perfect match.
These are heavy-duty spinning rods best suited for all types of saltwater fishing. It is way better than a roller rod, as you can use it for multiple species and a variety of techniques. Shimano always comes with a variety of choices, and this series is no exception. We are sure that you will find the best alternatives from amongst the options.
The length of these rods is around 7ft, while the drag capacity is up to 100lbs. This means, however big the shark is, you can reel it back comfortably as the rod gives you enough power. Of course, the sensitivity is high for this rod right till the tip, which is all set to provide you with fast actions.
These high-performance rods are compatible with the braided lines. The built is of Shimano’s TC4 blanks, which makes it lightweight and durable.
- The TC4 technology results in a fast action rod tip and a strong backbone to generate enough power
- High-quality Fuji guides (aluminum oxide guides)
- Suited for heavy power and fast actions
- The custom reel seats are of hard plastics and fit in very well
- EVA rubber grips on the handle to ensure that the rod does not slip even if your palms are wet
- High value and performance
- Best compatible with powerpro braids
- Durable, sturdy and very powerful
- Easy to maneuver and comfortable to use
- Limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Not best suited for premium quality braids
- You cannot reinforce the guides
You may want to enjoy fishing even during your vacations, but most conventional rods are too heavy to carry. Specially designed for travelers, the Fiblink Surf Spinning Fishing Rod is exceptionally light and easy to carry from one place to another.
Both price and performance combine well for this fishing rod, and it comes in a wide variety so that you can choose the best one depending on the choice of location. You can rely completely on the carbon graphite rod for its power, strength, and durability. The dual graphite material increases both performance and sensitivity.
With this rod, you can easily catch all kinds of fishes, and all anglers would enjoy fishing with this fishing rod. The stainless-steel construction and ceramic guides make sure that you can detect even the slightest of bites. Even if there is a little vibration, it gets immediately transferred to your hands. The handle has a superior rubber grip for day-long fishing. Along with the one-year warranty, you also get a money-back feature and an excellent customer service from Fiblink.
- The carbon fiber material makes it highly sensitive and super tough under all conditions
- Friction and corrosion-resistant ceramic guides with stainless steel construction
- Rubber butt grip gives huge strength so that you can pull the big fishes easily
- 2-piece rod comes with a one-year warranty against all defects
- Reel seat is customized and suited for extreme exposure
- Highly sensitive and durable
- Corrosion and friction resistant
- You can use it for both offshore fishing as well as from the boat
- Not suited for novice anglers
How to Choose the Best Rods for Shark Fishing – Buying Guide
Are you ready to step out and make a decision? Think again! Before you finalize your choice, you need to understand the essential factors that impact your fishing quality. You need to research thoroughly before you choose one. But good for you, we have done the research, and you need to go through our buying guide to make a well-informed decision.
Let us check out the important factors before choosing the best shark fishing rods.
The build is very crucial. You need a rod that is durable and long-lasting. No one would like to see their rods broken in between. Thus, graphite rods seem to be the best option. In case you are looking for a bit inexpensive option, then try the carbon fiberglass models.
Determine the size of the rod based on the size of the sharks that you want to catch. Remember, smaller ones won’t cast long and give you enough power, while the long ones are difficult to store and carry. So, check your storage area and boat before finalizing the on the size.
Your rod must be highly sensitive; even the slightest movement must be detectable. Check out the latest models with hyper-sensitivity kits attached to them. The last thing you would want is to return empty-handed.
The casting distance is critical since you will not find your target species right near you. The longer you can cast, the better it is for you. Ensure that your rod has enough casting distance so that you can comfortably fish from the boat or pier.
Baits & lures
Live baits, along with heavy sinkers, are always used for surf fishing. Thus, your rod must have a stiff tip with a medium or fast action. This will give you the best performance. In the case of a soft tip, the rod would easily bend and cannot withstand the pressure.
The stiffness of the rods is directly related to the power generated by a rod. In the case of fishing rods, the power ranges from light to heavy. You can even check out the new models that have extra-heavy power. The power would depend on the species of fishes that you intend to catch.
Now you have all the information to make your next purchase. Fishing is about enjoying the moment and experiencing thrill all long. What can ensure this? High-quality gear, which includes rods, reels, and tackle. We would not instruct you on your methods, but would always advise you that never compromise on the quality and build of any gear or equipment. Once you have the best fishing rods, nothing can stop you from having an adventure of a lifetime!