To make your fishing adventure memorable, you need to organize everything accurately. The quality of your fishing experience depends not only on the fishing reel and rod but also on the tackle box that you select. Whether you are going for saltwater fishing or engaging in recreational offshore fishing, you need the best tackle box for surf fishing.
The tackle box will store your reels, hooks, baits, lures, and gears in an organized manner. Are you imagining the age-old wooden boxes with clamps and handle? Well, tackle boxes have come way beyond those. Today, you can select the one that is best suited for your fishing needs. But the only problem is that you might get confused with so many options in the marketplace.
Don’t worry! This article on the best tackle box for surf fishing will guide in selecting the best tackle box for yourself. Whether you are an experienced angler or new to this sport, the choice of your tackle box can completely transform your game.
Top 3 Best Tackle Box Comparison
|Best Pick||Editor’s Choice||Best Value|
|Features||Plano 7771 Guide Series Tackle Box||Okeechobee Fats Fisherman Deluxe Tackle Bag||Flambeau Outdoors Classic 2 Tray Tackle Box|
|Construction Material||PVC plastic||Polyester||Plastic|
|Type||Hard tackle box||Soft tackle box||Soft tackle box|
|Compartments||4 boxes||4 large trays||2 tray design with 15 compartments|
|Top-Lid||See through top lid||Zipped top cover||Molded top lid|
|Dimensions||21.2 x 12.9 x 12.7 inches||16 x 13 x 10 inches||13.75 x 8 x 7.5 inches|
Top 10 Best Tackle Boxes for Surf Fishing
1. Plano 7771 Guide Series Tackle Box
If you are looking for a single tackle box to store everything – hooks, lures, baits, leaders, jig heads, and all other items, then take a look at this box from Plano. This is one of the most spacious, versatile, all-round tackle boxes in the market.
This box has four utility compartments with ample storage space beneath it. The cover is transparent and has compartments inside it. It also comes with three spinnerbait racks (removable) that are easily accessible from the top.
Plano uses high-quality materials for its tackle boxes, making them durable, sturdy, and long-lasting. The molded handles and clasps are present to secure your gears and equipment. It can practically store everything that an angler would want during his fishing trips. If you’re going to have a single box for all seasons, having excellent storage space, and comes with value for money, then hold onto this tackle box. It is our best pick for the best tackle box for surf fishing.
- Measures 22X13X13 inches in size
- Baitracks have separate access for each
- Transparent cover allowing you to see the contents inside
- Spacious storage space
- Package includes the tackle box, company brochure, and nameplate
- Warranty (limited lifetime)
- A huge amount of storage space with compartments
- Transparent upper lid
- Detachable spinnerbait racks
- Long-lasting and durable
- Bulky and consumes a lot of space
- When filled, it is difficult to carry from one place to another
2. Okeechobee Fats Fisherman Deluxe Tackle Bag
Okeechobee has manufactured high quality outdoor gears and equipment over the years and this Deluxe Tackle Bag is the best tackle bag that you would always want to keep with you. Whether you are an avid angler or a first-timer, this will make your journey comfortable.
It comes from polyester fabric, which is water-resistant, rugged, and durable. The bag is well designed keeping in mind your comfort and ease of use. Its shoulder straps and handles have extra padding to ensure that you can easily carry it.
This extraordinary tackle bag can fit 8 tackle boxes inside its main compartment. On the outside, you have zipped pockets, elastic holders, pliers pocket, and two vented pockets. Besides, there is a sunglass case with hardcover protection. You can store all your gears and equipments easily and an organized fashion. Nothing will make your experience smoother than having all your gears at arm’s distance.
The Okeechobee Deluxe Tackle Bag gives you plenty of storage space, durability and ease of use. No doubt, it has been featured as our editor’s choice for the best tackle box for surf fishing.
- Water Resistant high-quality fabric
- Zippered pockets on the outside
- Neoprene wrapped comfortable handle
- Comes with eight large utility boxes
- External pocket with a hard case to shelter your sunglass
- The bottom has spike pads to secure it
- Zippered closure for top, back, and outside pockets
- Well organized storage space
- Top-quality polyester material
- Lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- Durable and heavy-duty performance
- Shoulder straps are not UV protected
- When fully loaded, straps and handles experience strain, making them vulnerable to tear
3. Flambeau Outdoors Classic 2 Tray Tackle Box
Serving anglers since 1947, Flambeau is a legacy in the fishing industry. They have always come up with excellent products, and the Classic 2-Tray Tackle Box is not an exception. Even though the tackle box looks small as compared to the others, but you cannot anticipate the number of things that it can store inside it.
It comes with eight horizontal tray compartment and six removable dividers to store all your baits, lures, jigging equipment, snickers, hooks, and floats. You can easily access all these things while fishing. The flip lid secures your gears and fishing materials on top and the latches on the sides. The plastic handle helps you to carry it from one location to another.
This tackle box is made from the best quality plastic material, which makes it sturdy, shockproof, and lasts season after season. If you are looking for the best tackle box for the money, get hold of the Flambeau Outdoors Classic 2 Tray Tackle Box today.
- The cantilever design allows you to access all the things inside the box easily
- Huge storage space at the base and comes with 15 compartments and six dividers
- Latch secures the stuff inside the compartments
- The body is oil and scratch-resistant and supports all-weather fishing
- It measures 13.75x8x7.5 inches in length, width, and depth respectively
- All items are correctly secured and do not mess up inside the box
- Eight compartments with six dividers
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Keeps all your items dry
- An increased storage area in the base
- The hinges might become loose after repeated use
- Lids fall off at times
4. Spiderwire Wolf Tackle Box
The Spiderwire Wolf Tackle Box is all set to give you a fantastic experience at fishing. This 38litres bag has plenty of rooms and adjustable compartments to store all that you need for day-long fishing.
Spiderwire Wolf Tackle Box comes high quality, durable polyester material. The bottom is molded and prevents any kind of shagging, even when the bag is fully loaded. All the zippers, locks, latches, and stitches are top-notch in quality.
This tackle box has four utility boxes, and the main compartment is easily customizable. It gives you a mesh pocket inside, with two front pockets, sideline fishing dispensers, front holsters, and a well-padded shoulder strap. You can conveniently carry this bag from one place to another.
Your things would are neatly present, and you can easily access them during fishing. Except for casting and reeling, it does almost everything for you. This is a great companion for all-season fishing and any other form of outdoor activity.
- Constructed from durable and waterproof polyester (PVC backed material)
- 38.8 liters capacity to store all your fishing gears and equipment
- Waterproof and skid-resistant base prevents any kind of sagging
- Comes with four large-sized tackle boxes
- Front pockets, fishing dispensers, plier holders, and polypropylene strap
- Tackle box measures 15.75 x 10.8 x 8.2 with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- Plenty of pockets to store individual items
- The main pocket does not collapse even when you remove the trays
- High-quality zippers to secure the contents
- Ideal for all types of outdoor activities
- Lifetime Warranty
- The straps might be of average quality
- Creaks when carrying at full load
5. Berkley Sportsman’s Pro Cart Tackle Box
Have you heard of something – smart tackle box. Yes, we did say smart! The new Berkley Sportsman’s Pro Cart Tackle Box beats any other tackle box with its design, structure, storage space, and wheels.
The storage box constitutes of superior quality fabric. In contrast, the handle is made of aluminum, making it sturdy and rust-free. You can organize all your stuff inside the box; it has plenty of storage space with several compartments. We loved the wheels, which takes portability to another level. Be it the sand or dirt; you can easily pull it from one place to another.
It comes with an integrated seat that supports up to 300 pounds. Isn’t it amazing! Besides, the stands ensure that the bottom never touches the ground, keeping your contents safe and secured. The tackle box comes with four external fish rod holders as well. Wherever you are heading – beach, lake, river, or ocean; this smart tackle box is ready to surpass all your expectations.
- Convenient to transport and store
- Durable and anti-rust handle and wheels
- External removable rod holders (4)
- In-built seat supporting 300 pounds
- Plastic wheels with rubber tires
- Heavy-duty fabric to protect your gears and equipment
- Easy to pull over sand or dirt tracks
- Plenty of storage space along with additional room on the top
- An in-built integrated seat
- Pivot feet ensure that the box does not sink into the sand or water
- The rod holders might break if you mistreat them
- Handle grip is not that great
6. CLC Wild River Custom Leathercraft Tackle Bag
This tackle bag is considerably large as it fits in 5 large tackle trays inside it. The interior has five trays, on top of which you have a customizable section, and a waterproof pocket to store your valuable documents.
On the outside, you have mesh pockets, large pockets to accommodate additional trays, plier holder (which you can tie around your belt as well), pockets for your drinks, and a sunglass holder. This bag has enough room for all your gears, baits, lures, jigs, and accessories that you even remotely need while fishing.
You can carry it using the handle or the shoulder strap. Once fully loaded, we recommend you use the handle only. It has a rotatable grip, which makes it easier for you to carry. The bag has a very compact shape and can find a spot in any corner of your boat.
The product comes from a high-quality canvas. At the same time, the bottom has an additional lining to prevent water soaking or any wear and tear. Last but not least, the handle has an in-built LED to help you search for your tools in the dark.
- Big storage space (5 large 3700 trays)
- Comes with a waterproof internal pocket
- Top storage area comes with two dividers which allows you to customize it
- The handle has an LED and rotating grip
- Molded holder to keep your sunglass safe
- Detachable plier holder
- Rotatable handle with in-built LED light
- High-quality canvas material
- Pack additional items to support you during all seasons
- Small, compact, yet offers plenty of space
- Battery cover does not close properly
- When fully loaded, difficult to carry
7. Elkton Outdoors Rolling Tackle Box
Whether you are pro fisherman ore new to this game, you would love to have your things organized. It gets challenging with fishing poles in one arm, your tackle box in one hand, bottles on the other; it’s a messy affair. Now it is time to pack everything together in the Elkton Rolling Tackle Box and transport all your equipment to the fishing arena.
The storage area can house five large trays (3600 type trays), and these are readily accessible from the front. On the outside, we have PVC rod holders and additional pockets. You can drag or pull it from one place to another with the handle or the well-padded shoulder straps. High-quality fabric, zippers, and rolling wheels allow you to use this buddy for any kind of fishing expedition.
It is time you act like a pro, pack everything into the box, and roll it on a smooth surface, while strapping up when you load or unload from your boat.
- The tackle bag is durable, lightweight, compact and waterproof
- You can organize your items inside the five large (3600 type) 18 compartment trays.
- It has a maximum weight capacity of 26.5 pounds
- The canvas fabric is durable and tough
- Both handle and shoulder strap to carry the bag from one place to another
- Four external PVC rod holders to keep everything within your reach
- Plenty of compartments to organize your items
- Rolling wheels for easy transport
- Compact design and high-quality, waterproof fabric
- Trays accessible from the front side
- Difficult to roll this bag in sand
- Zippers can be too tight
- With 4 rods in place, difficult to roll on a steep incline
8. Yogayet Portable Outdoor Fishing Tackle Bag
Yogayet brings another durable, water-resistant, and portable outdoor tackle bag. This has plenty of room for storage with a 12-15litre capacity. You also get the additional clips and pockets on the outside. The bag comes from high-quality 600D nylon material, which is rugged, robust, and waterproof. All the zippers are excellent, and buckles are non-toxic.
This is light – just 750pounds. You can easily tie it around your waist while fishing. Besides, you can use the shoulder straps as well.
By looking at it, you can understand that this is of high-quality. Do not underestimate it because of its small size; you have no idea of the storage space unless you use it. It has plenty of room for all the baits, tackles, lures, and snacks for a whole day fishing trip. This bag brings you an excellent opportunity to organize everything into a lightweight bag and be ready to fish in no time.
- The tackle bag measures 15.75 x 5.90 x 7.50 inches in dimensions
- Yogayet Tackle bag comes from superior quality 600D nylon material, with enough storage space inside and plenty of additional pockets on the outside
- Waist and shoulder strap for convenient carry. You can use it as a waist bag, shoulder carry, or even as a sling bag
- High-quality YKK zipper system
- YKK is an industry-standard and gives you smooth operations
- The bag has a net weight of 750 pounds
- Small in size and easy to carry to the fishing spot and back
- Durable and robust nylon material, making it waterproof as well
- Compact design and layout for plenty of storage space
- Can be used as a sling bag, carried around the waist or over the shoulders
- Not suitable for those planning to stuff everything you have inside the bag
- Hooks and molds are not rust-free
9. Wakeman Fishing Single Tray Tackle Box
New to this game? Looking for a simple, compact, easy to carry, and value for money tackle box? Then cast your hook onto the Wakeman Fishing Single Tray Tackle Box. It has a single compartment, yet offers enough room for you to pack all the essentials.
Priced at less than $20, it is real value for money. You can pack your gears, hooks, lures, and gears into this and enjoy your fishing adventure. The in-built compartments help you to organize your stuff quickly, while the plastic clasp would secure all the items.
Once you remove the single tray on the top, you need a wide area to store your snacks and sunglasses at the bottom. The tackle box comes from high-quality, molded plastic, which is durable, waterproof, and long-lasting.
- Transparent lid, a single tray with multiple compartments
- Beneath the tray, you have additional space for storing items
- Easily carry it along with the help of the foldable handle
- Various plastic clamps will hold and secure your gears all the time
- This kit comes along with the fishing essentials – lures, hooks, jigs, pole float, line weights, crankbait, and fishing line. It is like a one-stop solution for all your needs. (55 piece starter kit included)
- The product measures 12.75 x 7 x 5.5 inches in dimension
- Absolute value for money for a starter pack in tackle boxes
- Comes along with 55-piece fishing equipment
- Small, compact, light, yet sufficient storage space for all the essentials
- Waterproof and durable construction
- Single tray with storage below it as well
- Latches become loose after several usages
- Cannot fit a lot of items inside it
- Items in the starter kit are not of high quality
10. Ready 2 Fish Soft Sided Tackle Bag
This brings us to the final product in our review, Ready 2 Fish Soft Sided Tackle Bag. Ready 2 Fish Soft Sided Tackle Bag has plenty of space for all your fishing gears. The internal space can be customized using the removable dividers. The waterproof pouch is for your documents and valuable items.
On the outside, it features two zippered pockets, a frontside tool pocket, license holder, carabiner clips, and water bottle holder. Even if you load it with all your gears yet, you can carry using the comfortable shoulder strap. Additionally, it comes with two handles so that you can take it in hand as well.
The bag is made from the best quality nylon material while the inside has a waterproof coating. The bottom part has an additional lining for keeping things secured. It keeps the items dry, safe, and secure. If you are looking for value for money, then check this fantastic tackle box. Be it fishing or any outdoor activity; this box is all set to make your life easy.
- Water-resistant compartments
- Plenty of pockets on the outside (8 accessory pockets)
- Interior pouch for maps
- Leakproof compartments and easy to clean
- An adjustable and well-padded shoulder strap
- Easy and convenient to carry from one location to another
- Plenty of storage space and customizing options
- Very affordable and value for money
- Can fit three large trays without the divider
- Bottle holder comes out easily
- The zips are of poor quality
Best Tackle Box for Surf Fishing – Buying Guide 2020
Now that you know the best tackle boxes and their features, you are one step closer to selecting the perfect box for yourself. What is left? A little bit of research. Do not worry; we have researched for you as well. The buying guide will tell you about the types of tackle boxes and the features to be considered before making the final decision.
Types of Surf Fishing Tackle Boxes
Hard Tackle Box
These are the trunk style boxes made from plastic or metal with a handle and clamps around it. They offer a massive amount of storage space, and you can customize it as per your need. At the same time, you get lots of compartments on the top and holding areas for rods, reels, and spools. You can easily set your gears and equipment withing the storage area.
These boxes are durable, sturdy, and waterproof. They offer the best protection to your gears and other fishing items.
Soft Tackle Box
Unlike the hard ones, these come from nylon or polyester material. The interior compartment is modifiable, and these generally come with trays along with them. These are very convenient, offer plenty of storage space, lightweight, and easy to carry from one place to another.
But most of these are not waterproof, and you need to take care of your things.
Backpack Tackle Box
If you are walking or hiking to your fishing location, then these are the best. Backpack boxes are the latest addition to the arsenal. These come with shoulder straps, waist straps, and lumbar support so that you have no trouble in carrying it right up to the fishing zone.
Backpack Tackle Box is very convenient since your hands are free all day long and is suitable for hiking, trekking, or rock climbing.
Features to consider before purchase
It is time to understand the characteristics of a right tackle box for surf fishing. These will determine the quality of your fishing tour.
- Size – Ensure that the box has enough room for all the gears as well as the catch. If you are planning to go for the big-sized ones, then opt for the backpack versions.
- Gear Storage Space – Look for boxes where you can pack all your gears comfortably. There must be additional units, pockets, and pouches around the box.
- Compartments – Depending on the number and type of equipment you intend to carry, look out for the number of compartments and dividers. These ensure that you can organize and arrange your things properly.
- Material – Whatever material you choose, remember that it should be light, durable, and long-lasting. You would not want to invest in a tackle bag every week.
- Water-resistant – You cannot dry on a fishing day, but make sure that the gears and valuables are protected. Ensure that there is no sagging or moisture entering the storage area.
With that, you are now entirely ready to go ahead and purchase your next tackle box. Gone are those days when you had to carry your gears in one hand and poles in the other. Get the best tackle box for surf fishing in order to pack everything in one box and head out for the incredible experience!